Augusta Road Baptist Church was organized in 1924 by members of Greenville First Baptist Church and Pendleton Street Baptist Church in response to the growth of the Greenville area. At the time, Augusta Circle School and the Greenville Country Club had been built, and though the road to the church was not yet paved, the area would soon see a boom in residents.
These churches held an organizational meeting in April 1924, organized the Sunday School on May 11, and held the first worship service on May 18. In September the church called her first pastor, Reverend M.L. Bannister.
After meeting in homes for several months, in August 1925 the church opened a three-story educational building on the corner of Jones and Augusta. A large sanctuary was added in 1949. A two-story educational building was added in 1965 and a Family Life Center in 1992.
Despite humble beginnings, Augusta Road Baptist Church is still strategically situated in the heart of one of the most popular, densely populated sections of the city. The church began as a neighborhood church, but today it has no geographic boundaries, as her members come from all over Greenville’s metropolitan area.